Tuesday, August 19, 2014

dichotomy...

Night 3 in DC.  Also, my first night alone here.

The last two days were spent with a coworker, now turned friend, from Boone.  She met me on Sunday night to show me the ropes, and to introduce me to my contact at the ACLJ (American Center for Law and Justice).  We laughed and ate our way through DC over the last few days.  It was really nice.  She left this morning.

Today, I spent my first day in my new office.  Funny enough, it's right across the street from the Supreme Court, and looks directly into Colin Powell's office.  With my history of ridiculousness, I'm pretty sure 'ol Colin and I will be having lunch in no time!  Until then, anyone have any binoculars I can borrow?!

I've been doing a lot of thinking about Pastor Saeed over the past few days.  He's in an Iranian prison for simply being a believer.  He is part of the persecuted church.  He is being beaten for his faith.

I was undeniably called to the mission field nearly 15 years ago.  It was a Sunday morning, and it was the National Day of Prayer for the Persecuted Church.  It was the clearest I have ever heard the Lord speak to me.  Since that time, I have been serving the marginalized.  Serving those that simply need some outside help.  And today, as I sat in my new swanky office, in my pretty new heels that gave me terrible blisters, I realized that my life and calling has come full circle.  Somehow, God has plunked me smack in the middle of one of the biggest examples of the persecuted church in recent history.  I get to help plan an event that we hope will shed light not only on his situation and persecution, but on this plight around the world.

And ultimately, we pray for his release.  Until then, my heart is burdened with thoughts of him, and his family.  His wife and babies, who he hasn't seen in two years.  I pray in this moment that he will feel the Lord's presence.  I pray that the members of ISIS that are in the prison will have no opportunity to harm him.  I pray that where his body is wounded, that there would be healing.  

I'll be living across from the Pentagon for the next 42 days.  I can see it from my hotel window.  What a dichotomy.  Seeing this symbol of freedom, while in the midst of a fight for someone that has no freedom.  If you're reading this, you most likely live in "the land of the free, and the home of the brave".  I want to invite you to join this fight.  To exercise your freedom to help another, and others, that you will most likely never meet.  Please take a minute to visit:  http://beheardproject.com/prayer-vigil/saeed

I'll be in DC for the kickoff on September 25th, and would love to see you and your churches become part of these grassroots vigils on September 26th.

Until now, Saeed has just been a story that I've heard.  Now, I'm overwhelmed with the details of his imprisonment, and what his family has been through during this separation.

Would you right now, take a minute to pray?  To boldly pray for his release?  Oh, what a day that will be!  I'll bring the cake!  

No comments:

Post a Comment